The process of mixing is done for practical, aesthetic, or creative reasons. The goal is to produce a mix that is appealing to listeners.
During mixing, the following items are manipulated by the mixing engineer:
- The individual tracks’ level or volume against other tracks. This creates an overall balance of the music.
- The frequency content of both the individual tracks as well as the overall mix.
- The dynamics of the individual tracks.
- The panoramic position of the individual tracks.
- The perceived depth of the individual tracks.
- Any other effects for creative purposes.
Izhaki, Roey. Mixing Audio.
Senior, Mike. Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio.
Stavrou, Michael Paul. Mixing with your Mind.